Come and see Henry VIII at Sudeley Castle!
Romance and intrigue for the new season at Sudeley Castle near Winchcombe.
Sudeley Castle opens for the 2009 season on 30 March with a brand new exhibition.
Sudeley is launching a major new exhibition to coincide with the national celebrations of the 500th anniversary of Henry VIII’s accession to the throne. The exhibition brings to life Henry’s and Anne Boleyn’s visit to Sudeley Castle in 1535 and includes fascinating detail of the costs to the estate.
Henry’s Vicar General – Thomas Cromwell – was hidden away at nearby Winchcombe Abbey, sending out his commissioners to value the assets of the monasteries and seize them for the Crown. This was the precursor to the process of the dissolution of the monasteries which changed the face of English history for ever. The exhibition reveals the intrigue surrounding Henry’s conferences with Cromwell during his stay at Sudeley.
Meanwhile Anne Boleyn investigated and exposed the fake holy relic at neighbouring Hailes Abbey and the tale is told through a series of hand painted murals and sound bites.
The exhibition includes Tudor artifacts and an audio description of this important period in Sudeley’s fascinating history. There is a further opportunity to see the costumes designed by Jane Stuart-Brown, associated with David Starkey’s TV series, The Six Wives of Henry VIII and keepsakes belonging to Henry’s sixth Queen, Katherine Parr, who is entombed in St. Mary’s Church within Sudeley’s award winning gardens.
For further information.
21 March 2009
• Vulcan to appear at the Kemble Air Show 2009
• Need somewhere to stay for the Gloucestershire Air Shows in 2009?
• Nine Days to Explore Art in and around Cheltenham
• Wychwood 2009 - Final Line-ups
• "Tapas on the Terrace" at The Wharf House near Gloucester
• Angels in the Forest - Westonbirt Arboretum
• Tree-mendous fun for everyone - Festival of the Tree at Westonbirt Arboretum, 24 - 31 August 2009
• Meet the top gun pilots who will be displaying at Kemble Air Show 2009
• Sudeley Castle’s gardens alongside Eden Project in top 5 gardens to visit in the South West
• SUMMER MADNESS! Barcelo Cheltenham Park Hotel: £89 per night, per room for 2!!
• New art gallery opening at Gloucestershire Arts & Crafts, Brockworth Court Farm
• A taste of Italy in Cheltenham: Bottelinos, restaurant review by Sam Dexter
• Gloucester Quays Opens its Doors to Shoppers
• Hogwarts Express at Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway
• Whitsun School Holiday activities in Gloucestershire 2009
• Green fingered half term holiday activities with the National Trust
• A day out with Thomas in the Forest of Dean
• USAF to star at 2009 Kemble Air Show
• A day in the life of Figaro
• White Room Images- competition and offers at The Suffolk Street Traders Fair
• Rare Vulcan set to soar at the 2009 Royal International Air Tattoo
• Wychwood Launches the First Literature Festival for Children
• Gloucester Quays Designer Outlet announces its line up of opening events!
• A blank canvas at The Brewery in Cheltenham
• Asparagus now ready at Primrose Vale & Over Farm Market
• Name the Science Festival ale Competition
• Little Boots confirmed for Wychwood 2009
• Heston Blumenthal at the 2009 Times Cheltenham Science Festival
• Monty - New arrival at Cotswold Wildlife Park
• Gok Wan to Officially Open Gloucester Quays Designer Outlet
• Royal Navy airpower demo at Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT 2009)
• Last Swan leaves Slimbridge
• Easter Entry offer at Out of the Hat
• Easter School Activities in Gloucestershire
• Send a Little Ray of Sunshine and raise money for Sue Ryder Care
• Cotswolds Attractions Group - Juicy Snails, Dodgy Duck and Naked Gardeners!
• Little Farmer Food Festival - Stalls still available!
• 2009 'Gloucestershire at its Best' photography competition - Opens 1 April
• NEW exhibition - Mini Boutique – from mini cars to mini-skirts
• Night of the Champions at GL1
• Last chance to save £££'s on RIAT 2009 tickets!
• LATEST OFFER! Kids go FREE at Cotswold Motoring Museum
• Master-Chef, great food, drink & music at Cheltenham Food & Drink Festival 2009
• Come and see Henry VIII at Sudeley Castle!
• Great travel offer from Stagecoach MegaRider!
• New 2009 Explore Gloucestershire printed guide now available!
• Kids go FREE at Prinknash Bird & Deer Park
• Spring arrives at Dick Whittington Farm Park
• Air Tattoo Welcomes 51st Nation on board
More about banner advertising