Westonbirt Arboretum blazes an Autumn Trail
One of the finest autumn spectacles in the world is right here in the UK, at Westonbirt -The National Arboretum in the Cotswolds. From around mid-October into November, Westonbirt's Japanese maples - Britain's largest collection - are a riot of colour.
Within this historic Forestry Commission tree garden, Acer Glade is the traditional autumn 'Mecca', but now annual 'leaf-peepers' are increasingly heading for the National Collection of Japanese maples in Silk Wood. In all, about 350 cultivated varieties create a dazzling display.
Catch the highlights of this glorious season on the Westonbirt autumn trail - simply pick up a trail leaflet at the Great Oak Hall on arrival. Even take a little bit of Westonbirt home with you: the specialist Plant Centre has a wide range of acers for sale, including the arboretum's own 'Westonbirt Red' and 'Westonbirt Orange', both renowned for their autumn colour.
Plant your own tree seed, go on a fungal foray or take in Sarah Howard's stunning photographic exhibition, capturing the ever-changing seasons at Westonbirt. There's something for everyone at Westonbirt this autumn...
Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 October
SEED SPECTACULAR - Family Event
Uncover an incredible variety of tree seeds through activities and art. Collect and plant your own tree seed to take away. 10.30-4.30pm. Free after
Saturday 10 October
AUTUMN FRUITS AND BERRIES - Guided walk
Discover the reasons behind the many shapes and sizes of seed packages, and take in Westonbirt's autumn colour. 11am-1pm. Meet at the Great Oak Hall.
Booking essential. Tel: 01666 880220.
Monday 26 - Thursday 29 October
NATURAL AUTUMN COLOUR - Family Event
Find out why trees change colour and witness the spectacular Westonbirt autumn first-hand. Have a go at some tree-inspired art. There's a different
art activity each day. Free after admission.
Friday 30 October - Sunday 8 November (not including 2 November)
A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF WESTONBIRT - Exhibition & sales
Exhibition in the Great Oak Hall by photographer Sarah Howard featuring images from her new book 'A Year in the Life of Westonbirt'. Prints and book
in Westonbirt's Forest Shop. Free on admission.
Saturday 31 October
Join Dave Shorten from the Cotswold Fungus Group on a fungal foray.
Walks 10.30am-12.30 and 2-4pm. Booking essential. £5 per head plus
Westonbirt is open all year round. Over the autumn season, admission to the whole arboretum is £8 for adults, £7 concessions, £3 for children (18yrs and under). For further information, visit www.forestry.gov.uk/westonbirt
Westonbirt Arboretum is three miles south west of Tetbury on the A433 (Tetbury to Bath Road). It is 10 miles north east of Junction 18 of the M4,and south-east of junction 13 of the M5.
For further information.
20 July 2009
- Contact phone : 01666 880220
• Can You Dig It? Yes you can at the Dean Heritage Centre!
• Cheltenham gets dancing to raise funds for local cancer charity
• 2009 Battle of Britain Weekend at Kemble Airport - latest news
• HERITAGE OPEN DAYS: Free admission at Dean Heritage Centre this weekend
• Watch the 2009 Bourton-on-the-Water football match in the river Windrush
• Early Bird Offer. 20% off your Christmas party at Barcelo Cheltenham Park Hotel
• News from St Augustines Farm - New camera obscura
• Outstanding sales for The Times 2009 Cheltenham Literature Festival
• Free venue hire at 'The Boogie Lounge' featuring the 'Funkasino'!
• Earthworks by painter at the Dean Heritage Centre
• 21 years of Didmarton Bluegrass Festival 2009 at Kemble Airport
• Watch the new Birdland Park & Gardens video produced by Explore Gloucestershire
• Cheltenham’s art gallery and museum wins a £500k grant
• Westonbirt Arboretum blazes an Autumn Trail
• Steam Along to Sudeley! Fantastic offer from two top Gloucestershire visitor attractions!
• A message from Explore Gloucestershire's media partners STAR 107.5FM
• Otter family makes a splash at WWT Slimbridge
• Gloucester Antiques Centre moving to Gloucester Quays Designer Outlet
• Priority booking, exclusive discounts, outstanding speakers at the 2009 Cheltenham Literature Festival
• Explore Gloucestershire Exclusive: Webcam installed at Birdland in the Cotswolds!
• Painted Violins in surprising places!
• WIN family tickets to the best visitor attractions in Gloucestershire + more!
• Watch programme of events video for the 2009 Cheltenham Music Festival
• SAVE 20% - Buy tickets to the 2009 Cotswold Show on-line now!
• Get ready for Summer school holidays in Gloucestershire 2009
• Watch the hilarious TITAN the Robot at The Brewery in Cheltenham
• PYO Strawberries in Gloucestershire at Primrose Vale & Over Farm
• PAMPERING WEEKEND! Barcelo Cheltenham Park Hotel: £325 per room including upgrade!
• RELAX & UNWIND! Barcelo Cheltenham Park Hotel from £89!
• 'Six of the Best' events in Gloucestershire with STAR 107.5FM
• GIRLIE GETAWAY! Barcelo Cheltenham Park Hotel: £89 per person including pampering session!
• The latest news on the 2009 Royal International Air Tattoo