The Oliver Cromwell Paddle Wheeler: New unique events venue in Gloucester Docks
Here’s the problem. You need to stage a special celebration, such as a notable birthday, anniversary, Christmas party or Wedding. You want to find somewhere different and memorable but all the places you know about are also well-known to your guests too.
So how can you make the occasion different?
The answer, according to Richard Clements, owner of the Oliver Cromwell Paddle Wheeler, is to book his Mississippi style Paddlewheeler, which is moored at the stylish Gloucester Docks.
"The Oliver Cromwell is certainly unique" says Richard, "she was previously the biggest Riverboat Hotel in England, taking passengers up and down the Severn Navigation on full-board cruise holidays. She was a well-known vessel, designed in the style of a Mississippi Steamboat. Now she is moored up in the heart of the historic docks of Gloucester offering a terrific setting for all kinds of celebrations and next to the new Gloucester Quays Designer Outlet Shopping Centre.
"We became accustomed to dealing with groups on our cruises, so we will continue to focus our energies on welcoming groups. There are various versatile spaces available, including our open Top Deck when the sun shines, the Main Saloon Restaurant and Lounge Bar for large groups of up to 80 people and the Paddle Lounge for smaller parties and meetings. The entire vessel is also available as a unique and memorable wedding venue".
Richard emphasises that the business is family-owned and run. His son Jay was Skipper of the Paddle Wheeler when she was sailing and he is now Captain of their second vessel, the Edward Elgar, which still runs cruise holidays on the river. Meanwhile, Richard’s wife Judith has designed a wide range of catering options on the Paddle Wheeler, including finger or fork buffets or full-service lunch, cream teas and dinner.
"We prefer to serve traditional English food" says Judith, "and by agreeing the menu selection in advance, we can cook from scratch with fresh, locally sourced ingredients in our own galley. The result is a distinctly better quality of food with more flavour. We already enjoy a ‘four-star’ score from the City Council for our food hygiene standards".
The public can also sample the family hospitality during one of their monthly open house ‘Showboat’ nights featuring a Table D’hôte dinner followed by live entertainment. Richard says "We have already staged nights with Swing music, Dixieland jazz and Stand up Comedy. We can of course arrange all these forms of entertainment and others besides for private parties."
Now that her cruising days are over, The Oliver Cromwell Paddle Wheeler looks set to become an icon in Gloucester Docks. To find out how you can make your private celebration a different and memorable event, call the owners Judith or Richard Clements on 01452 410411 and ask for their ‘Private Party Planner’.
The Oliver Cromwell
For further information.
• Have an enchanted Christmas at Westonbirt Arboretum
• Stagecoach buses Christmas and New Year timetables in Gloucestershire
• All aboard Santa Specials at Dean Forest Railway this Christmas
• Keane to play at Westonbirt Arboretum in 2010
• SPECIAL OFFER! Book your Xmas Cruise on the Edward Elgar NOW and save £'s!
• Will you be listening on 6 December? – The Star 107.5 Christmas Charity Auction
• SPECIAL CHRISTMAS IN GLOUCESTERSHIRE SECTION - now live!!!
• Classical Music & Festive Fun this Christmas at Lodge Park in the Cotswolds
• Review & Video: Winter Owl Evening at the International Centre for Birds of Prey
• Gloucestershire Farm Shops - The Big G’s Big Launch for local produce
• WIN a Gok Wan style makeover worth £500!
• Simply Red performing back at Westonbirt Arboretum in 2010
• Gloucester Quays Christmas Lights Switch on, Saturday 7 November
• A list of Firework Displays & Bonfire Nights in Gloucestershire 2009
• Christmas Adventures at The Brewery, Cheltenham
• The Oliver Cromwell Paddle Wheeler: New unique events venue in Gloucester Docks
• Get Spooky down at Gloucester Docks
• Tewkesbury given the green light to host a national cycling event in 2010.
• Gloucestershire at its Best! Enter your photo for your chance to win £250!
• Halloween fun at Prinknash Bird and Deer Park
• Latest news from Frightmare at Over Farm
• Poetry Cafe launched at Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museum
• Sudeley Castle to host exclusive Wedding Fair
• Tewkesbury Heritage and Visitor Centre wins environment award
• FREE Tickets for DEbassER at Gloucester Guildhall