Young adventurers to explore Westonbirt for free this summer
YOUNG ADVENTURERS ENCOURAGED TO EXPLORE WESTONBIRT THIS SUMMER
Free admission, hidden play areas and wildlife trails for children. Children can discover a hidden world of adventure within the trees of Westonbirt, The National Arboretum this summer with exciting natural play trails and free admission for kids from 23 July to 30 August.
Seven different play zones are located amongst the trees of the Old Arboretum on the Naturally Playful trail; built with Westonbirt wood felled as part of the arboretum's tree management programme.
Children can build their own explorer's den, protect their woodland kingdom from inside tree forts, clamber over tree stump stepping stones or simply climb in or hide amongst the trees.
Located in Gloucestershire, Westonbirt Arboretum is managed by the Forestry Commission, which has a national policy to get more children involved in outdoor and natural play.
Evidence that children's physical and emotional well-being can benefit from contact with woodlands and natural settings has been used to develop a natural play policy used across the country.
Simon Toomer, Arboretum Director commented:
"When people visit somewhere as impressive and historically important as Westonbirt Arboretum, they instinctively think they should keep to the paths. However, the beauty and tranquillity of our trees can also be a great place for fun and adventure.
"We want to encourage visitors to get off the paths and explore. Using the Forestry Commission's natural play guidance we have developed exciting, challenging areas buried within the tree collection for children to play and learn in.
"Using our special trails, children can become nature detectives to find out which birds and mini-beasts live amongst our trees and seek out the natural play areas."
Westonbirt Arboretum also has a special tree-inspired playground for under fives. The Exploratree experience, located next to the Courtyard Café, is designed to help develop young visitors' play skills and understanding of trees. Children can clamber under tree roots, encounter over-sized worms and climb into a giant bird's nest.
Find out more and download your family play map at www.forestry.gov.uk/westonbirt-families or pick one up on site from the Great Oak Hall information point between 10am - 4pm.
Free admission for children promotion is from 23 July to 31 August and includes the Festival of the Tree.
16 June 2010
• The latest from The Times Cheltenham Literature Festival
• Twist & Pulse to Switch on Christmas Lights at Gloucester Quays
• New Season at Howlers Comedy Club
• Simon Pegg & Derren Brown coming to the 2010 Cheltenham Literature Festival
• First Pallas Cat kittens born at Cotswold Wildlife Park
• Unexplored Autumn Colour at Westonbirt
• Latest news from the 2010 Times Cheltenham Literature Festival
• Rare Woodland Bat found at Westonbirt Arboretum
• BBC History Festival at Gloucester Cathedral - 28 August 2010
• Tiny new arrivals at Cotswold Wildlife Park
• FREE entry for kids at Sudeley Castle near Winchcombe
• NEW! Special venue for childrens parties at Prinkash Bird & Deer Park
• REVIEW: The Dean Forest Railway
• New Cider, Perry & Ale Festival coming to Gloucester at the Wharf House
• NEW OFFER: £20 OFF a champagne balloon flight over the Cotswolds!
• A Circle of Friends at the Everyman Theatre
• Summer school holidays in Gloucestershire 2010
• REVIEW: James Morrison at Westonbirt
• Airshow pulls out all the stops
• Café Rene is the venue for the 2010 Gloucester Rhythm & Blues Festival
• Win Tickets to Toy Story 3 Regional Premiere at Cineworld Cheltenham!
• REVIEW: Blood Brothers at the Everyman Theatre
• Vulcan on its way to the Royal International Air Tattoo next weekend!
• RED BULL gives wings to Air Tattoo 2010
• Roman Credit Crunch and Medieval Poo
• A new chick in town! (well at Cotswold Wildlife Park there is)
• GLOUCESTERSHIRE TREASURE TRAILS are coming to a town near you this Summer!
• New Pony Rides at Puzzlewood
• Westonbirt Arboretum Live Music – Unique Location
• NEW OFFER! - 2 for 1 entry at Puzzlewood in the Forest of Dean
• NEW OFFER! Free Half-day Luxury Spa Package + a Free Session with ALL YOUR LIFE
• NEW EXCLUSIVE OFFER! Buy 2 Darklight Lasertag experiences and get 3rd FREE
• The Cotswolds's first ever giraffes!
• Young adventurers to explore Westonbirt for free this summer
• NEW EXCLUSIVE OFFER! Free game of Darklight Lasertag in Gloucester