The Cotswolds's first ever giraffes!
A Tall Order for Cotswold Wildlife Park
Cotswold Wildlife Park is delighted to announce the arrival of three male giraffes.
Century (four years old) and Koife (nine years old) have just arrived from Colchester Zoo while Wallace (three years old) has travelled from Blair Drummond Safari and Adventure Park in Scotland. They are spending a few days out of the public gaze, while they acclimatise to their new surroundings, but visitors will be able to see them soon.
The Park has accepted the three males as part of an international breeding programme. Male giraffes (“bulls”) are often difficult to place as a herd can contain several females but only one breeding male.
“We’re delighted to welcome these magnificent and fascinating animals. Giraffes are an ideal species to complement the natural landscape of the Park and we look forward to helping them settle into their new environment” says Jamie Craig, Curator of Cotswold Wildlife Park.
The bulls were transported from their previous homes in a specially designed truck and trailer. The trailer allows them to stand comfortably while cameras in the truck mean the drivers can keep an eye on their precious cargo.
Louise Peat, Registrar at Cotswold Wildlife Park was responsible for their safe arrival. She explains: “Giraffes are one of the most difficult animal species to transport as you need to plan well in advance to avoid low bridges and obstacles. We brought in a Dutch animal transport firm, EKIPA, to help. With many years’ experience and the latest high tech equipment we knew the boys would arrive in style.”
The giraffe is regarded as being amongst the largest, strongest and the most peaceful animals on this planet.
Keep an eye on Facebook page for frequent updates and photos.
• The giraffe is the tallest of all land-living species.
• The coat pattern on each giraffe is unique.
• Despite its very long neck, the giraffe has the same number of cervical vertebrae as a human being.
• A giraffe’s kick is so strong it can kill a lion.
Cotswold Wildlife Park opens its doors at 10am every day, with last admission at 4.30pm
15 June 2010
For further information.
• The latest from The Times Cheltenham Literature Festival
• Twist & Pulse to Switch on Christmas Lights at Gloucester Quays
• New Season at Howlers Comedy Club
• Simon Pegg & Derren Brown coming to the 2010 Cheltenham Literature Festival
• First Pallas Cat kittens born at Cotswold Wildlife Park
• Unexplored Autumn Colour at Westonbirt
• Latest news from the 2010 Times Cheltenham Literature Festival
• Rare Woodland Bat found at Westonbirt Arboretum
• BBC History Festival at Gloucester Cathedral - 28 August 2010
• Tiny new arrivals at Cotswold Wildlife Park
• FREE entry for kids at Sudeley Castle near Winchcombe
• NEW! Special venue for childrens parties at Prinkash Bird & Deer Park
• REVIEW: The Dean Forest Railway
• New Cider, Perry & Ale Festival coming to Gloucester at the Wharf House
• NEW OFFER: £20 OFF a champagne balloon flight over the Cotswolds!
• A Circle of Friends at the Everyman Theatre
• Summer school holidays in Gloucestershire 2010
• REVIEW: James Morrison at Westonbirt
• Airshow pulls out all the stops
• Café Rene is the venue for the 2010 Gloucester Rhythm & Blues Festival
• Win Tickets to Toy Story 3 Regional Premiere at Cineworld Cheltenham!
• REVIEW: Blood Brothers at the Everyman Theatre
• Vulcan on its way to the Royal International Air Tattoo next weekend!
• RED BULL gives wings to Air Tattoo 2010
• Roman Credit Crunch and Medieval Poo
• A new chick in town! (well at Cotswold Wildlife Park there is)
• GLOUCESTERSHIRE TREASURE TRAILS are coming to a town near you this Summer!
• New Pony Rides at Puzzlewood
• Westonbirt Arboretum Live Music – Unique Location
• NEW OFFER! - 2 for 1 entry at Puzzlewood in the Forest of Dean
• NEW OFFER! Free Half-day Luxury Spa Package + a Free Session with ALL YOUR LIFE
• NEW EXCLUSIVE OFFER! Buy 2 Darklight Lasertag experiences and get 3rd FREE
• The Cotswolds's first ever giraffes!
• Young adventurers to explore Westonbirt for free this summer
• NEW EXCLUSIVE OFFER! Free game of Darklight Lasertag in Gloucester