RED BULL gives wings to Air Tattoo 2010
There’s only one chance to meet two of the world’s greatest Red Bull air race pilots in the UK this year – and that’s at next weekend’s Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford.
Paul Bonhomme, pilot of Team Bonhomme, and Nigel Lamb, pilot of Team Breitling, will bring their aircraft and pit hangars to the airshow, offering an exclusive ‘meet and greet’ opportunity for visitors on Saturday, July 17 and Sunday, July 18.
The Red Bull Air Race is an international series of extreme air races in which teams must navigate their way through an obstacle course in the fastest time. The planes used, built specifically for aerobatic flying, fly at an extremely low level, often over water, at speeds up to 370km/h through a gruelling track made up of tight turns and manoeuvres. Paul Bonhomme, the defending champion, currently leads the 2010 Championship after winning in spectacular style recently in New York. Paul hails from a long line of aviators: his father was a pilot in the British Army Air Corps and later an airline captain. His brother is an airline captain.
Nigel Lamb, who is currently third in the Championship, was born and raised on a remote farm in Zimbabwe. His passion for flying was kindled by his ex-RAF fighter pilot father. At the age of 11, Nigel first applied to join the Air Force, and persisted until he was finally accepted at 18. After six years in the military flying piston aircraft, helicopters and jets, Lamb began a new career in the UK as an Aerobatic pilot.
A spokesman for Red Bull said: "The mid-summer break in between races gives us an ideal opportunity to show off the aeroplane to our British fans and where better to do it than the Air Tattoo. We'll be happy to sign autographs and answer any questions visitors might have about the Red Bull Air Race.”
Nigel Lamb said: “It's been far too long since our last London Air Race, so it's a great opportunity to attend the Royal International Air Tattoo and meet the UK fans and supporters. It'll be a privilege to be part of such a popular event that supports a great cause and let's hope it becomes a prelude to a 2011 race in the UK!”
The Air Tattoo, which is held in support of the Royal Air Force Charitable Trust, is the world’s largest military airshow and attracts around 300 aircraft from across the globe. This summer’s event will stage special tributes marking the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. Tickets must be bought in advance. Admission is free for all under-16s plus there is free parking. For further details, visit airtattoo.com
For further information.
6 July 2010
• The latest from The Times Cheltenham Literature Festival
• Twist & Pulse to Switch on Christmas Lights at Gloucester Quays
• New Season at Howlers Comedy Club
• Simon Pegg & Derren Brown coming to the 2010 Cheltenham Literature Festival
• First Pallas Cat kittens born at Cotswold Wildlife Park
• Unexplored Autumn Colour at Westonbirt
• Latest news from the 2010 Times Cheltenham Literature Festival
• Rare Woodland Bat found at Westonbirt Arboretum
• BBC History Festival at Gloucester Cathedral - 28 August 2010
• Tiny new arrivals at Cotswold Wildlife Park
• FREE entry for kids at Sudeley Castle near Winchcombe
• NEW! Special venue for childrens parties at Prinkash Bird & Deer Park
• REVIEW: The Dean Forest Railway
• New Cider, Perry & Ale Festival coming to Gloucester at the Wharf House
• NEW OFFER: £20 OFF a champagne balloon flight over the Cotswolds!
• A Circle of Friends at the Everyman Theatre
• Summer school holidays in Gloucestershire 2010
• REVIEW: James Morrison at Westonbirt
• Airshow pulls out all the stops
• Café Rene is the venue for the 2010 Gloucester Rhythm & Blues Festival
• Win Tickets to Toy Story 3 Regional Premiere at Cineworld Cheltenham!
• REVIEW: Blood Brothers at the Everyman Theatre
• Vulcan on its way to the Royal International Air Tattoo next weekend!
• RED BULL gives wings to Air Tattoo 2010
• Roman Credit Crunch and Medieval Poo
• A new chick in town! (well at Cotswold Wildlife Park there is)
• GLOUCESTERSHIRE TREASURE TRAILS are coming to a town near you this Summer!
• New Pony Rides at Puzzlewood
• Westonbirt Arboretum Live Music – Unique Location
• NEW OFFER! - 2 for 1 entry at Puzzlewood in the Forest of Dean
• NEW OFFER! Free Half-day Luxury Spa Package + a Free Session with ALL YOUR LIFE
• NEW EXCLUSIVE OFFER! Buy 2 Darklight Lasertag experiences and get 3rd FREE
• The Cotswolds's first ever giraffes!
• Young adventurers to explore Westonbirt for free this summer
• NEW EXCLUSIVE OFFER! Free game of Darklight Lasertag in Gloucester