Major milestone imminent in the new Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museum
One of the first major milestones will soon be reached in the construction of the new Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museum, the ground and foundation works are set to be completed shortly. Work will then commence on building the main concrete frame.
The redevelopment scheme, Building for a New Future, is the design and build of a new extension and the refurbishment of some existing galleries and public spaces.
Building for a New Future will transform Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museum by greatly increasing its exhibition, display and other facilities. It will allow improved access and enhanced opportunities for the use and interpretation of its locally, regionally, nationally and internationally important art and heritage collections. It will also enable the Art Gallery & Museum to become a major venue for national and international touring exhibitions.
Building for a New Future will also significantly enhance the surrounding conservation area – as well as preserving the adjacent listed buildings – and create a ‘new gateway’ to Cheltenham’s oldest building, medieval St. Mary’s Church.
The visual shows the cross section through to the re-located Tourist Information Centre on the ground floor, with entrances out to Clarence Street and Chester Walk, the first floor (dedicated) picture gallery and the second / third floor exhibition galleries. Each gallery floor is 139 sq. m, and in overall terms - including the community display space on the ground floor and the open archive - the new development will create approximately 6 x more temporary exhibition space for displays from the collections, touring exhibitions and other collaborative shows.
The Art Gallery & Museum will be re-opening from Spring 2013.
You can keep up to date on progress via our new web cam! Just visit the Art Gallery & Museum's website: www.cheltenham.artgallery.museum - and click on Building for a New Future.
For further information.
5 January 2012
• The Gruffalo at Dean Heritage Centre - dates announced
• New exhibition for 2012 at the Cotswold Motoring Museum
• The Ultimate Valentine’s Day winner revealed!
• 400 trees to be planted in Pittville Park to celebrate Queen’s Jubilee
• Aviation Jewel set for Diamond Display
• The Wanted to perform at Westonbirt Arboretum this summer
• Win the Ultimate Valentine’s Day with Beechwood!
• RESTAURANT REVIEW: Mü Brasserie in Cheltenham
• February 2012 Half Term Holiday Activities in Gloucestershire
• Air Tattoo flies high in awards
• Madness announce forest show at Westonbirt
• Announcing.... A Feast of Festivals in 2012
• LATEST!: 5,000 Explore Gloucestershire iPhone APP's now downloaded!
• RESTAURANT REVIEW: Joules Restaurant in Cheltenham
• Conserving Chedworth’s mosaics
• Research into possible Woodchester wild cat finds no cat DNA on deer
• Coming Soon - the Gruffalo at Dean Heritage Centre
• EMF to play at Lakefest Music Festival in May 2012
• Major milestone imminent in the new Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museum
More about banner advertising