March of The Penguins at Birdland Park & Gardens
Top Cotswold visitor attraction, Birdland recently took delivery of some very special visitors.
A group of King Penguins arrived in their temporary home in Bourton-on-the-Water, from Edinburgh Zoo while their enclosure undergoes essential maintenance.
One of the penguins is already a bit of a celebrity. Sir Nilas Olav has been awarded an honorary colonel-in-chief of the Kings Guards of Norway and was knighted in 2008. He is named after Major Nils Egelien who organised his adoption in 1972 and the then King of Norway, King Olav.
Since their arrival the penguins have been in quarantine, but they will soon meet the 14 King penguins who already reside at Birdland Park & Gardens.
On Friday 6 April at 11am the penguins will march from their quarantine quarters to the penguin pool - however we suspect it will be more of a slow waddle!! They will become the only group of King Penguins in the UK.
Birdland's most famous King Penguin, Spike (who was born at Birdland) has a bit of a fan following himself and even has his own Facebook page.
After 6 April you can have a quick look via our penguin cam (see link below) or combine a visit with the Birdland Easter Egg Challenge from 31 March - 9 April.
For further information.
30 March 2012
• Guide to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Events in Gloucestershire
• EIIR Fylpast at Air Tattoo by 27 RAF Hawk jets to mark Diamond Jubilee
• Treasure Trails Free Jubilee Quiz Trail
• Brand new restaurant Ruby Tuesday opening this June at The Brewery, Cheltenham!
• Gruffalo Trail attracts monster numbers to the Dean Heritage Centre
• Athlete to headline at Lakefest 2012
• STOP PRESS: Explore Gloucestershire APP for Android phones coming soon!
• REVIEW: A weekend adventure in the Forest of Dean with Forest Bushcraft
• Over 6,000 downloads of the Explore Gloucestershire iPhone APP!
• Limited day tickets available at Lakefest 2012!
• Rare jet to be 'TSAR' of the show at RIAT 2012
• Egg-stra Special Air Tattoo Offer - Earlybird Ticket Prices Egg-stended Over Easter!
• Easter School Holiday Activities in Gloucestershire
• Tewkesbury Food and Drink Festival cancelled
• Olympic Torch route announced
• Rare Osprey to swoop at the Air Tattoo this summer 2012
• Six more King Penguins - Birdland's new arrivals from Edinburgh Zoo
• One month to go: The Times Cheltenham Science Festival
• Lechlade Festival - iconic 80s ska band The Beat to headline 2012 Festival
• See WWT Slimbridge in a whole new light
• The Glass Menagerie, Cheltenham Everyman's first in-house production in 15 years
• Birdland - now home to the only group of King Penguins in the UK
• Cotswold Wildlife Park unveils a very rare birth - the UK’s first ever Wolverine cubs
• Award winning authors at Wychwoods Children's Literaure Festival
• Sudeley Castle celebrating a special Jubillee
• Did you know Dennis Potter? Get involved with an exciting celebration of his life and work.
• Return of the Explore Gloucestershire at its Best Photography Competition
• 2012 Explore Gloucestershire printed guide NOW OUT
• March of The Penguins at Birdland Park & Gardens
• Sandford Parks Lido Opening Day 21 April