Did you know Dennis Potter? Get involved with an exciting celebration of his life and work.
The Dean Heritage Centre (DHC), in Soudley, is looking for people who knew screenwriter and journalist Dennis Potter. Whether you went to school or social clubs with him or played an extra in one of his films, the DHC would like to hear about it.
The Centre would like to interview and record willing volunteers as part of their upcoming Potter exhibition and display memorabilia local people may have.
Phillippa Turner, Centre archivist said, “It is important to ensure that the local communities engage with the archive, and one way of doing this is through collecting Potter-related oral histories. The living memories of local people need to be preserved as an alternative way of accessing the history and heritage of the Forest of Dean. The Dennis Potter exhibition should provide a multi-sensory learning experience that will increase visitor enjoyment”.
The Centre is also appealing for images from Potter life, so if you have any photos from his childhood; school; Berry Hill Band time; photographs taken by extras while filming one of his TV dramas; or any other period in his life then get in touch. These items will be accessioned into the DHC collection and will become part of a living legacy for Dennis Potter.
The DHC has also put out an appeal for 1950’s furniture to dress its upcoming Dennis Potter exhibition space. The Centre is asking for the following donations: a chest of drawers, bookcase, coffee table, rug and a television from the era. The items will be accepted as a donation towards the exhibition of Potters life and works rather than accessioned into the Dean Heritage Centre’s historical collection.
The Dennis Potter exhibition contains two different phases, the first will be a display of Potter related artefacts and the second will be a replica living room. This will give DHC visitors the chance to become fully immersed in the physical and literary world of Potter. It is an exciting opportunity to make the Dennis Potter collection more accessible to DHC visitors, and to exhibit the contemporary history of the Forest of Dean.
If you have any items that would match the Centre’s requirements, please contact Phillippa Turner at the DHC on 01594 822170 or email@example.com.
For further information.
10 April 2012
• Guide to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Events in Gloucestershire
• EIIR Fylpast at Air Tattoo by 27 RAF Hawk jets to mark Diamond Jubilee
• Treasure Trails Free Jubilee Quiz Trail
• Brand new restaurant Ruby Tuesday opening this June at The Brewery, Cheltenham!
• Gruffalo Trail attracts monster numbers to the Dean Heritage Centre
• Athlete to headline at Lakefest 2012
• STOP PRESS: Explore Gloucestershire APP for Android phones coming soon!
• REVIEW: A weekend adventure in the Forest of Dean with Forest Bushcraft
• Over 6,000 downloads of the Explore Gloucestershire iPhone APP!
• Limited day tickets available at Lakefest 2012!
• Rare jet to be 'TSAR' of the show at RIAT 2012
• Egg-stra Special Air Tattoo Offer - Earlybird Ticket Prices Egg-stended Over Easter!
• Easter School Holiday Activities in Gloucestershire
• Tewkesbury Food and Drink Festival cancelled
• Olympic Torch route announced
• Rare Osprey to swoop at the Air Tattoo this summer 2012
• Six more King Penguins - Birdland's new arrivals from Edinburgh Zoo
• One month to go: The Times Cheltenham Science Festival
• Lechlade Festival - iconic 80s ska band The Beat to headline 2012 Festival
• See WWT Slimbridge in a whole new light
• The Glass Menagerie, Cheltenham Everyman's first in-house production in 15 years
• Birdland - now home to the only group of King Penguins in the UK
• Cotswold Wildlife Park unveils a very rare birth - the UK’s first ever Wolverine cubs
• Award winning authors at Wychwoods Children's Literaure Festival
• Sudeley Castle celebrating a special Jubillee
• Did you know Dennis Potter? Get involved with an exciting celebration of his life and work.
• Return of the Explore Gloucestershire at its Best Photography Competition
• 2012 Explore Gloucestershire printed guide NOW OUT
• March of The Penguins at Birdland Park & Gardens
• Sandford Parks Lido Opening Day 21 April
More about banner advertising