Rare jet to be 'TSAR' of the show at RIAT 2012
A state-of-the-art combat jet used to train Russian Air Force fighter pilots will give a rarely-seen demonstration of its light attack capabilities at this summer’s Royal International Air Tattoo.
The display will be the first time anyone outside of Russia has seen a display by the Yak-130 ‘Mitten’ in its light attack configuration with a full complement of weapons.
The Yak-130, which will come from the Irkut Corporation based in Moscow, is a two-seat, subsonic jet trainer/light attack aircraft. It entered service with the Russian Air Force in 2010. The aircraft can replicate the characteristics of the latest generation fighters and carries a variety of air-to-air and air-to-ground weaponry.
The participation of the Yak-130 in July’s display cements the Air Tattoo’s reputation for showcasing aircraft from Russia, which began in 1992 when a Su-27P ‘Flanker’ 595 and Tu-134 appeared at Boscombe Down followed, in 1993, by two Mig-29s and the Tu-95MS ‘Bear’ at RAF Fairford.
The first of 55 Yak-130s ordered by the Russian Defence Ministry entered service with the Russian Air Force in 2010. RuAF Commander-in-Chief Col Gen Alexander Zelin announced in March that a new aerobatics team flying Yak-130s would be created by 2015.
Air Tattoo spokesman Richard Arquati said: “To have such a rare Russian aircraft display is quite a coup and simply adds to what is already shaping up to be quite a spectacular display. We know how much aircraft enthusiasts enjoy seeing Russian aircraft – and Russian-built aircraft – at Fairford and we work hard to achieve this. This year’s Air Tattoo already has an abundance of aviation riches but now it seems the whole world wants to be at Fairford this July!”
This year’s Air Tattoo will see organisers join with the RAF to stage special aerial tributes celebrating the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. For further details, visit airtattoo.com or call 0800 107 1940. All accompanied under-16s go free. Free parking.
10 April 2012
For further information.
• Guide to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Events in Gloucestershire
• EIIR Fylpast at Air Tattoo by 27 RAF Hawk jets to mark Diamond Jubilee
• Treasure Trails Free Jubilee Quiz Trail
• Brand new restaurant Ruby Tuesday opening this June at The Brewery, Cheltenham!
• Gruffalo Trail attracts monster numbers to the Dean Heritage Centre
• Athlete to headline at Lakefest 2012
• STOP PRESS: Explore Gloucestershire APP for Android phones coming soon!
• REVIEW: A weekend adventure in the Forest of Dean with Forest Bushcraft
• Over 6,000 downloads of the Explore Gloucestershire iPhone APP!
• Limited day tickets available at Lakefest 2012!
• Rare jet to be 'TSAR' of the show at RIAT 2012
• Egg-stra Special Air Tattoo Offer - Earlybird Ticket Prices Egg-stended Over Easter!
• Easter School Holiday Activities in Gloucestershire
• Tewkesbury Food and Drink Festival cancelled
• Olympic Torch route announced
• Rare Osprey to swoop at the Air Tattoo this summer 2012
• Six more King Penguins - Birdland's new arrivals from Edinburgh Zoo
• One month to go: The Times Cheltenham Science Festival
• Lechlade Festival - iconic 80s ska band The Beat to headline 2012 Festival
• See WWT Slimbridge in a whole new light
• The Glass Menagerie, Cheltenham Everyman's first in-house production in 15 years
• Birdland - now home to the only group of King Penguins in the UK
• Cotswold Wildlife Park unveils a very rare birth - the UK’s first ever Wolverine cubs
• Award winning authors at Wychwoods Children's Literaure Festival
• Sudeley Castle celebrating a special Jubillee
• Did you know Dennis Potter? Get involved with an exciting celebration of his life and work.
• Return of the Explore Gloucestershire at its Best Photography Competition
• 2012 Explore Gloucestershire printed guide NOW OUT
• March of The Penguins at Birdland Park & Gardens
• Sandford Parks Lido Opening Day 21 April