Lechlade Festival - iconic 80s ska band The Beat to headline 2012 Festival
Iconic 80s ska band, The Beat are to headline Lechlade Festival.
The two day family music festival will be held at Riverside Park in Lechlade on 26th & 27th May. Lechlade is a pretty Cotswold town perched at the highest navigable point of the Thames and was recently made famous by David Walliams who started his Comic Relief swim there.
The Beat hailed from working class Birmingham and rushed onto the music scene in 1979. It was a time of social, political and musical upheaval. The band’s message of inclusion, love and unity aimed to calm the waters – all set to a great dance beat.
They became one of the most popular and influential bands of the British ska movement, touring the world with artists such as David Bowie, The Police, The Clash and The Specials, to name but a few. It’s hard to remember a time which didn’t include ‘Mirror in the Bathroom’, ‘Save It For Later’ the controversial ‘Stand Down Margaret’ and their serene cover of ‘Can’t Get Used to Losing You.’
The band consists of original member and lead vocalist Ranking Roger, founding band member Everett Morton on drums, keyboardist Mickey Billingham, previously of Dexys Midnight Runners and Murphy ‘Ranking’ Junior. The Beat continue to bring the house down at gigs around the world – from Lechlade they fly straight to Europe to continue their tour. At long last Roger and the boys have recorded The Beat’s new album, which will be released soon. This is ska – at its best.
The festival will showcase some of the hottest talent from the South West Region and will feature The Missy Malone & Friends Burlesque Revue on Saturday night. Children 12 and under get in free and this year the festival has onsite camping. There will be a charity auction raising funds for Help for Heroes. With real ales, a hog roast, funfair, stalls, workshops, belly dancing and over 40 bands on 2 stages, Lechlade Festival is the perfect weekend’s entertainment. Tickets are just £20 for the weekend (£15 for students/seniors) or £15 for the day (£10 Students/Seniors) and Kids 12 and under are free. You can camp onsite from Friday to Monday for just £22.50, including festival admission.
The festival is sponsored by Lower Mill Estate, the beautiful 550 acre Cotswold residential nature reserve at Somerford Keynes and supported by Lechlade Garden Centre and Londis, Lechlade.
Book tickets and see the full line up at www.lechladefestival.co.uk
For further information.
14 May 2012
• Guide to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Events in Gloucestershire
• EIIR Fylpast at Air Tattoo by 27 RAF Hawk jets to mark Diamond Jubilee
• Treasure Trails Free Jubilee Quiz Trail
• Brand new restaurant Ruby Tuesday opening this June at The Brewery, Cheltenham!
• Gruffalo Trail attracts monster numbers to the Dean Heritage Centre
• Athlete to headline at Lakefest 2012
• STOP PRESS: Explore Gloucestershire APP for Android phones coming soon!
• REVIEW: A weekend adventure in the Forest of Dean with Forest Bushcraft
• Over 6,000 downloads of the Explore Gloucestershire iPhone APP!
• Limited day tickets available at Lakefest 2012!
• Rare jet to be 'TSAR' of the show at RIAT 2012
• Egg-stra Special Air Tattoo Offer - Earlybird Ticket Prices Egg-stended Over Easter!
• Easter School Holiday Activities in Gloucestershire
• Tewkesbury Food and Drink Festival cancelled
• Olympic Torch route announced
• Rare Osprey to swoop at the Air Tattoo this summer 2012
• Six more King Penguins - Birdland's new arrivals from Edinburgh Zoo
• One month to go: The Times Cheltenham Science Festival
• Lechlade Festival - iconic 80s ska band The Beat to headline 2012 Festival
• See WWT Slimbridge in a whole new light
• The Glass Menagerie, Cheltenham Everyman's first in-house production in 15 years
• Birdland - now home to the only group of King Penguins in the UK
• Cotswold Wildlife Park unveils a very rare birth - the UK’s first ever Wolverine cubs
• Award winning authors at Wychwoods Children's Literaure Festival
• Sudeley Castle celebrating a special Jubillee
• Did you know Dennis Potter? Get involved with an exciting celebration of his life and work.
• Return of the Explore Gloucestershire at its Best Photography Competition
• 2012 Explore Gloucestershire printed guide NOW OUT
• March of The Penguins at Birdland Park & Gardens
• Sandford Parks Lido Opening Day 21 April