Air Tattoo offers glimpse of RAF's future
Visitors to this summer’s Royal International Air Tattoo will have a second chance to view the RAF’s next generation airlifter when the Airbus A400M returns to RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire 12 months after making its UK airshow debut.
The aircraft, which is set to replace the RAF’s Hercules C-130 fleet, will be known as ‘Atlas’ when it enters service in late 2012 or early 2013. It is designed to carry troops, equipment and supplies and can travel further and faster than most current in-service airlifters. It is also far more flexible.
Airbus Military’s parent company EADS gave the go-ahead this month (March) for the first series aircraft to enter production. The first A400Ms should finally roll off the production line later this year.
Airbus’s chief military test pilot Ed Strongman will be at the controls of the A400M when it displays at the airshow, at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire on July 16 & 17.
The Air Tattoo’s Sponsorship Development Manager Francesca Heap said: “We enjoy phenomenal support from the aerospace industry and what better way to showcase this than with an exciting new Airbus airframe. It’s good for the Air Tattoo, it’s good for the aerospace industry it’s good for the RAF and it’s good for the thousands of people who will see it display at RAF Fairford this summer.”
In addition to celebrating its 40th anniversary, this summer’s Air Tattoo, on July 16-17, will host a gathering of specially-decorated ‘Tiger’ aircraft from the NATO Tiger Association. ‘Tiger’ aircraft come from NATO squadrons that have a Tiger or Big Cat in their emblem and their association marks its 50th anniversary in 2011. The ‘operational’ spotlight STAR 11 will focus on aircraft and equipment involved in the roles of Strike and Reconnaissance.
- Event: RIAT 2011
- Date: Saturday 16 - Sunday 17 July 2011
- Time: Gates open at 7.30am. Flying display starts at 10.00am
- Tickets: £39 for specific day; £44 for either day and £68 for 2 days. Children under 16 FREE when accompanied by an adult ticket holder. Tickets must be purchased in advance. Tickets can be purchased at www.airtattoo.com or by calling the Ticket Office on 0800 107 1940 No tickets are available on the gates.Also Available in selected Barclays Banks and Tourist Information Centres.
- Where: Fairford, Glos.
For further information.
26 March 2011
• REVIEW: Canoeing on the River Wye with Way2Go Adventures
• CONFIRMED: Luminarium - Architects of Air at Taurus Crafts
• Kids go free at Westonbirt , 23 July-31 August
• US promise Air Tattoo show of force at RIAT 2011
• British Cable Wakeboard and Wakeskate National Championships: Cotswold Water Park
• Announcing Gloucestershire's newest Blues Festival in the Forest of Dean
• Perfect weather for ducks down at WWT Slmbridge
• Meet the lemur babies of Madagascar at Cotwolds Wildlife Park
• Fresh Air 2011 : Contemporary sculpture shows near Cirencester
• New arrival at Prinknash Bird Park
• Carry the forest in your pocket with new ForestXplorer iPhone app
• Bushcraft comes to the Forest of Dean with Forest Bushcraft
• Adam Henson to open Birdlands' 'Marshmouth Nature Reserve'
• The Christians and Robin Ince among the latest additions to the Wychwood Festival
• Air Tattoo welcomes back old flames
• Happy Birthday Brum!
• TV 'Brums' 20th Birthday Party Celebrations!
• Discover Cheltenham’s Royal connections
• Treasure Trails produces fun Royal Wedding Trail
• Explore Gloucestershire iPhone APP - over 2000 downloads!
• Youngsters take over Slimbridge
• Easter School Activities in Gloucestershire
• Harts Barn Cookery School cook up Easter treats for the whole family
• 2011 Printed Guide NOW OUT
• The latest news from Wychwood Music Festival 2011
• Air Tattoo offers glimpse of RAF's future
• Threats and hostility finally kill off Cheese Rolling Festival
• Cheltenham's Art Gallery and Museums win £750k
• Air Tattoo proves it has the X Factor