Comic Legend to re-open Everyman Theatre!
Ken Dodd, revered as one of the UK’s funniest comedians, will be the very first to perform in the newly restored Everyman Theatre.
Ken, creator of the legendary Diddymen, is absolutely discumknockerated (that’s Knotty Ash speak for ‘over the moon’!) to be bringing his one-man Laughter Show to Cheltenham on Friday 23rd September and to be the very first to tread the boards in the restored auditorium.
Says Geoffrey Rowe, Chief Executive: “We needed a show to open the theatre with few technical demands, so that we can test the new facilities before the first full week of performances. So a comedian... and who is most associated with old, lovely theatres and has played them all, several times? Ken Dodd of course – and what a comedian! Ken has been performing all around the UK for over 60 years and is probably the last of the traditional variety comics. I cannot think of a more suitable artist to re-open the Everyman. He has played here on many occasions to great success over the years and was last here in 2007.”
Ken has not stopped entertaining since he turned professional in 1954 and continues to pack theatres the length and breadth of the country.
“I love slaving over hot audiences” says Ken “because they love a good laugh and I never get tired of entertaining them.”
Ken has been seen in his own TV and radio series and specials like ITV’s much repeated An Audience With Ken Dodd and an hour-long This Is Your Life tribute.
His many chart-topping hits include Tears, which today occupies a place in the Top 10 best-selling records of all time and of course his famous signature tune Happiness.
Ken has been awarded the OBE for his services to showbusiness and charity and other showbiz honours include the first ever Living Legend Award from the British Comedy Society and a Lifetime Achievement in the British Comedy Awards.
His portrait has been hung in the National Portrait Gallery and his name is commemorated in the first ever Avenue of The Stars in London’s Covent Garden.
Says Ken: “Entertaining gives me a true feeling of plumptiousness. I’m fizzing like a bottle of champagne with the cork out!... Discovering I could make people laugh was like being kissed by an angel.”
Tickets go on sale for the general public on 1st July. Everyman Theatre Association Members can purchase tickets now.
- Event: Ken Dodd Laughter Show
- Date: Friday 23 September 2011
- Time: 7.30pm
- Tickets: £21 & £26 (inc. booking fee)
- Where: Eveyman Theatre, Regent Street, Cheltenham, GL501H
For further information.
22 June 2011
• Pirates Invade the Dean Heritage Centre
• Renaissance Music at Lodge Park, Gloucestershire
• The £3 million restoration of the Everyman Theatre almost complete
• Shot in Cheltenham - Photographs from the past
• Celebrate Forest Discovery Day at Westonbirt
• Gloucester Cathedral wins praise for innovation in quality visitor attraction award
• Record-breaking early sales for The Times Cheltenham Literature Festival 2011
• Gloucester City Museum Official Opening
• ’Garden of the future’ has opened at Slimbridge
• New activity attraction in the Forest of Dean
• Everyman Out There! The New Young Company Launches
• KIDS GO FREE this summer with the National Trust
• Local musicians, poets & artists join Treefest at Westonbirt
• Harts Barn to host first Plum Festival for the Forest of Dean
• The Times Cheltenham Literature Festival 2011 - details announced
• Award winning garden will open come rain or shine at WWT Slimbridge
• Blackfriars Priory opens its doors to visitors
• Cheltenham Horse Parade - Fine Form Exhibition
• World’s rarest piglets make their debut... Warts and all!
• Grant helps Chedworth Roman Villa development
• Stars Shine at Air Tattoo
• Launch of 'LOVE YOUR ZOO' & 'ON YOUR DOORSTEP' at ICBP
• WORLD FIRST: Spoon-billed sandpiper chicks hatch in captivity
• Get back to nature this summer with Treefest at Westonbirt
• NEW OFFER: Free cuppa at Magicland in Cirencester
• Cheltenham's Everyman Theatre Restoration – Well under way!
• £3m makeover for top Hallmark Gloucester Hotel
• REVIEW: High ropes in the Forest of Dean with MOTIVA
• Comic Legend to re-open Everyman Theatre!
• FREE OFFER listings available for Gloucestershire businesses!
• New arrivals at Cotswold Wildlife Park!
• Screen star Emma Samms to join cast of Everyman pantomime
• City Council Announces 75th Annual Gloucester Carnival
• James Hunt Exhibition at the Cotswold Motoring Museum
• AWARD WINNER 2011: Cotswold Wildlife Park
• NEW OFFER: Free cup of tea at Primrose Vale PYO
• Luxury cinema comes to The Brewery in Cheltenham
• Vulcan Bomber returns to the 2011 Air Tattoo
• Fantastic flying kicks off RIAT Media launch
• Big boost to Cotswold Water Park near Cirencester
• Adam Henson to officially launch Harts Barn Farm Shop and Cookery School
More about banner advertising